Thursday, January 24, 2008

I hate New York's Fairweather fans

I admit it. I too have found myself caught up in this Giants Cinderella-story hoopla. In fact the reason you haven't been seeing much updating over the last few days is because Brandon Jacobs was busy truck-sticking Rodney Harrison on my PS3 all week. I'm no Giants fan, but as a New Yorker (and a Jets fan and thus Patriots hater), I can't help but smile at the possibility of yet another Aaron Booneing at the hands of another New York team (even if they play in New Jersey).

And then I came back down to earth and I remembered why I hated Giants fans.

It was just this morning when I read the front page of the Daily News: Why New York loves Eli Manning... umm... you have to be kidding me. The New York media and fairweather fans seem to have bigger mood swings than a meeting of pregnant women. Wasn't it only a few months ago that Tiki Barber's commentary made you rue the day ol' Archie Manning traded Eli to the Giants? Wasn't it was only a few months ago that you were already naming coaching replacements for Tom Coughlin? Wasn't it only a few months ago that you Giants 'fans' were dreaming of Philip Rivers and Shawne Merriman (and Nate Kaeding for that matter) in a lighter shade of blue rather than this "kid who may never be as good as his brother."

Then the Patriots game happened and Eli has been playing out of his mind ever since. But let's be real. All this talk of being as good as Phil Simms or even being a premier NFL quarterback has to stop. If you believe that then you so-called fans apparently don't know shit. The guy has seriously been only good for a month yet I have seen more Eli Manning replica jerseys in the past week than replays of SportsCenter. (And it's always on TV, FYE; for your entertainment) You fairweather New Yorkers read your New York Posts and Daily Newses and appoint yourselves Giants faithful. I won't even let my dog piss on those papers, yet it seems to be the bandwagoners guide to New York sports.

And don't even start to explain to me how Tiki Barber was the locker room equivalent of Nene Hilario's left testicle. (What, too soon?) You know very well that up until that Patriots game that you honestly would trade Tiki for Eli in a second. A cancer? Last year, I heard non-stop about his greatness, and for good reason; he was the best player on the team and because the coaching staff decided to lean on him more than they should have. Is that his fault? And until this team wins the Super Bowl then it is no better than the team Tiki's fumble-prone hands carried to Super Bowl XXXV.

Maybe instead of blaming Tiki you can look at your beloved pass-catching hick of a tight end, Jeremy Shockey. I think he's the biggest reason why Eli's been playing so well. Instead of that loudmouth running headfirst into his next injury, its Kevin Boss staying behind and pass blocking like a real tight end. Hmm... extra time in the pocket = success? Not as sexy as Giants vs Tiki I guess.

Hey, real Giants fans, these fakers should bother you too. You who have followed your team from the Fassel regime all the way to a month ago when Eli started to simultaneously live up the name on the front and the back of his jersey. It's your turn to enjoy this moment. Then after you come back from that euphoria you should collectively give all these bandwagoners a New York football Giant kick in the ass. Let them wear their newly-purchased Eli Manning replica jersey. Just be sure to have fun at their expense... "You know that Eli was traded last year?"

Either way, for the second time in the season, REAL Jets fans and REAL Giants fans have their goals aligned: end New England's perfect season. Good luck, Giants, and while you're at it, would you please shove that air cast up Tom Brady's ass for me. Thanks.

1 comment:

mike fortuna said...

Although I am a New York fan, I agree. I don't understand how New York can a) forget their haste they've spat at Eli, nor b) how they can reverse their entire views on subjects in only a few months.

Overall, I think it comes down to the simple fact that Americans have short-termed memories and seem to forget past issues quite fast. In everything, and it shows in sports..

However, any true Giant's fan can't be that ignorant, to not remember Eli's past performances in general.